Environmental management. Our approach.
We are committed to operating in an environmentally friendly manner. Energy consumption is the area in which we have the greatest direct environmental impact. It is therefore one of the focal points of our efforts.
Environmental Management System
In order to reduce environmental impacts and lower costs, we continuously implement a variety of measures through our environmental management system (EMS), which is certified globally in accordance with the ISO 14001:2015 standard. In 2019, we continued to concentrate on improving energy efficiency and on reducing the consumption of electricity and fossil fuels. Through our energy efficiency program in Switzerland, for example, we were able to increase our energy efficiency by approximately 1.6 gigawatt hours (GWh). See below more examples of energy efficiency measures in the regions where we operate.
In 2019, we successfully completed an EMS surveillance audit carried out by SGS, without any Corrective Action Requests (CARs). We also involve external service providers and suppliers in our continuous efforts to improve our environmental management measures where appropriate
2025 environmental objectives
We continuously review our environmental strategy to ensure best practices are implemented into our daily management processes. We have strengthened our commitment to environmental management by introducing the following 2025 environmental objectives:
- Reduce total greenhouse gas emissions by 75% with regard to the aspects based on which emissions from our operational activities are reported, relative to 2010 levels
- Procure 100% renewable electricity, and commit to the RE100 initiative, through which we pledge to continuously increase the green power share of electricity consumed in our operations
- Increase the office space in our portfolio that is certified as "green" – according to labels such as the Credit Suisse greenproperty quality seal, LEED, BREEAM, DGNB or Minergie – to 50% of our total office space portfolio
- Improve our regional energy efficiency by 1.5% per year from 2020 through 2025
- Reduce single-use plastic and increase the share of products made from recycled and reusable materials
- Reduce the amount of paper used by 10% compared to 2018 and ensure 100% of paper purchases carry an appropriate environmental label
- Reduce water consumption by 10% per employee (full-time equivalent) compared to 2018
Measures taken in all regions
To reduce our environmental footprint in all regions we continued to implement concrete measures focusing on energy management, energy consumption being the area in which our operations have by far the greatest impact on the environment. Find out more about them below.
In 2019, based on our existing commitments in environmental management, we also defined a set of objectives to reach by 2025. We strive to align any future measures to reduce our environmental footprint with these targets.
All examples of regional measures taken from 2013 until 2019 can be found here (PDF).