Press Room Media Release
Credit Suisse hosts 21st annual Asian Investment Conference with strong speaker line-up
Over 120 influential speakers discuss “Disruption as Usual”
Hong Kong, March 5, 2018 – An unrivalled line-up of over 120 influential speakers, including political leaders, policymakers, economists, leading entrepreneurs and academics, will gather at the upcoming Credit Suisse Asian Investment Conference (AIC) to interact and share insights with attendees. Now in its 21st year, the AIC is the most exclusive investment conference in the region, with a long history of attracting business leaders and entrepreneurs of some of the most dynamic companies in Asia Pacific as well as global institutional investors and ultra-high-net-worth individuals.
The four-day conference, to be held in Hong Kong from March 19 to 22, 2018, connects some 3,000 institutional investors, hedge funds, and ultra and high-net-worth individuals, as well as CEOs and CFOs of about 300 companies, with the world’s most influential thinkers and opinion leaders. Around 7,000 private meetings and workshops with clients and corporates are expected to take place on the sidelines of the conference.
This year’s theme of “Disruption as Usual” will shine a spotlight on how disruption has almost become a fact of life in business, finance and society. The world is witnessing significant change – from increasing volatility in financial markets, to escalating geopolitical risks, accelerating technological change and the challenges of an ageing world. Speakers at the AIC will discuss the disruption taking place and explain what this will ultimately lead to.
Commenting on the theme of the conference, Helman Sitohang, CEO Asia Pacific, Credit Suisse, said: “Nowadays we are learning to adapt quickly to disruption and its impact across a wide variety of arenas. At this year’s AIC, we will focus on sharing insights into changes already happening and those on the horizon, and where Credit Suisse is activating opportunities for our key clients, many of whom are leading innovators themselves.”
Speakers at the AIC will explore the disruptive forces that are changing our lives in a variety of ways, and how to capture the investment opportunities created. The key speakers include:
- Reince Priebus, who served as the White House Chief of Staff to US President Donald Trump until July 2017 and Chairman of the Republican National Committee from 2011–2017, will shed much-needed light for investors on how policy is formulated by the current administration and discuss the pros and cons of the President’s unique management style;
- Raghuram Rajan, former Governor of the Reserve Bank of India and former Chief Economist for the IMF, will discuss the role that Central Banks will play in financial markets as quantitative easing slows and markets become more volatile amid impending interest rate increases;
- Imran Khan, Chief Strategy Officer at Snap Inc., will discuss how the company captured the imagination of the millennial generation, what the future holds for the rapidly changing forms of social media and how to cater for the fickle tastes of users in a highly competitive industry;
- Baoliang Zhu, Chief Economist and Director of Economic Forecasting at the State Information Center, a think tank affiliated with China's economic planning agency, will share his views on what reform initiatives China will undertake to prevent financial system risks, alleviate poverty and protect the environment;
- Fumio Kishida, Chairperson of the LDP Policy Research Council – the think tank of the ruling party – and Japan’s longest serving Foreign Affairs Minister, will share his views on the key economic, political and foreign policy challenges facing Japan, particularly at a time when the country is seeing a shift in the balance of economic and military power across Asia Pacific;
- The Honorable Steven Ciobo MP, Australia’s Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, will discuss the evolution in Australia’s investment rules as it adapts to a new age, and in the face of challenges from the protectionist policies of some of its trading partners;
- Looking further beyond, global futurist Chris Riddell will examine how technology is blending the physical and digital worlds, and share his unique perspective of the role of humans in a world of increasing Alternative Intelligence (AI);
- One company placing bets on the future is SoftBank Corp., and its Senior Executive Corporate Officer, Yoshimitsu Goto, will share the management and investment philosophy of the world’s largest technology investor;
- While David Baltaxe, Chief Intelligence Officer at Unanimous A.I., will showcase its AI application, Swarm AI, to demonstrate the power of swarms in arriving at better solutions;
- Alternative artist Red Hong Yi, who is disrupting the art world with her famous portraits of well-known personalities made using teabags, food and chopsticks, will speak about what she has learned through her journey of creating art out of everyday objects as well as the power of social media in a borderless world;
- Providing food for thought is David Yeung, environmental advocate and CEO of Green Monday, a social venture that addresses healthy living and food insecurity. Yeung will share his views on the forces that will shake the food industry and opportunities to create a more sustainable future.
These AIC speakers and more will explore a wide range of topics, including India’s consumer technology and internet sector, the political dynamics of Southeast Asia, and many of the cutting-edge technological innovations in AI, fintech, facial recognition and blockchain. In addition, Credit Suisse’s leading economists and experts will provide their insights into global, regional and sectoral investment themes during the conference.
For more information about the AIC speakers, the agenda, coverage of the conference on the AIC Blog, interviews and video replays of some conference sessions, please:
- read our latest AIC news and agenda on credit-suisse.com/aic;
- view the latest AIC Media Program;
- follow the AIC’s dedicated Twitter feed: @csapac;
- follow us on WeChat: CreditSuisse;
- access our AIC photo gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/creditsuisse/albums.
Please note that selected keynote addresses and panels will be open to media representatives, who are requested to reference the Credit Suisse Asian Investment Conference when quoting any speaker at the AIC.
Company presentations and panels (unless otherwise specified) are not open to the press. For details, please visit AIC Press Room.