"The Steps to Success program has played a big part in my development, specifically the transition between academia and the workplace. I have now found a love for investment banking and wish to pursue it in future, equipped with the skills and knowledge I have gained over the last two years with the program."
Designed to maximize your achievements
We know you've worked hard to get where you are. Now it's time to take the next step with our Steps to Success Scholarship program in London. As an organization we are looking for diverse and underrepresented voices who are keen to gain a rich experience of working in investment banking, where you'll be provided with coaching and support throughout the internship and beyond. The program offers one 4-week and one 6 week-internship with the opportunity to join our wider summer class the following year and even join full-time after you graduate from university. Our carefully curated program of training, on-the-job experience, real-world tasks, exclusive events and network building is the perfect step into your outstanding future career.
The Steps to Success program at a glance
- Work in one these areas: Capital Markets & Advisory, Sales, Trading & Structuring, or Equity Research
- Receive a financial scholarship of £9,250 for university tuition fees for every year you're a scholar on the program
- Four-week program during the summer after Year 13, before you start university
- Six-week program in the summer after your first year of university, with the opportunity to join our 10-week Summer Internship in your penultimate year of university
- Mentoring, champion and buddy support throughout the program and when you're back on campus
- A full week of training to build your knowledge and confidence before you start with your teams
- Your colleagues' expertise means you're constantly learning from the best
- Be part of a large cohort of alumni attending the program since 2012
Enjoy the benefits of a bespoke program
Financial scholarship for tuition fees
Paired with a buddy, senior mentor and champion
Industry and soft skills training
Support from our Steps Alumni and current Scholars
Prerequisites. What you need.
Your qualifications and skills
We select students based on academic excellence, leadership ability and interest in the financial services industry. In particular, you should:
- Be able to demonstrate leadership and teamwork skills
- Be currently in Year 13/Gap year with a minimum AAA (or equivalent) grade prediction
- Be in the process of applying through UCAS for a place at university on a three-year course (graduating in 2025)
- Have a record of high achievement in and outside of academia
- Have an interest in financial services
To be eligible for the program you must have a combined household income of £30,000 or less. Our aim is to improve social mobility within the industry, so we also consider the following factors when reviewing applications:
- Eligibility for free school meals
- First generation university students
- Students who attend a state school or attend a state school with a lower than average performance
- Students living in an area with a high level of financial, social or economic deprivation defined by home postcode
- Any other factors with regards to social mobility that you wish to share with us
Apply now for our Steps to Success program
Now's the time to launch yourself into the world of work. Our Steps to Success Scholarship program applications open in October and close in January 2022, so here's how to apply.
As soon as a program is advertised you can apply online. Please note that we can't consider any applications sent via email or mail.
Shine in your interview
Once we've reviewed all applications, we'll invite suitable candidates for a first round virtual interview. If successful, we'll ask you to join us at a virtual or physical assessment center. If successful in your second round, we'll invite you back for a final round with senior management.
During the recruitment process, you'll receive prompt updates on your application and feedback if you've completed any interviews with us. If you've been unsuccessful, we'll share some constructive feedback to support you with future applications.
Documents. What you need for the application.
When you apply make sure you use our online portal as applications sent via email or mail will be returned unseen. Have the following documents ready to upload:
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Cover letter
More about your future employer
Discover who we are and see what it feels like to work for one of the world's leading financial services providers.
Discover where our 45,000+ employees work around the world, and where we are looking for new colleagues.
Find out about the different job categories within our bank, how they operate, and which is the right one for you to make your mark.