Legal Notes Significant Investor Visa
Wholesale Clients Only
The Australian Federal Government has introduced a new Significant Investor Visa (" SIV ") to provide high-net-worth individuals with the ability to apply for an Australian visa and permanent residence on the basis of a minimum investment in Australia of AUD 5 million for a minimum of four years.
Visa applicants do not need to satisfy the innovation points test and there are no upper age limits. The visa provides work, travel and study rights to the main applicant as well as their immediate family and dependent relatives.
Changes to the SIV complying investment framework
From 1 July 2021, SIV applicants will be required to invest at least $5 million in complying investments, which must now include:
- At least $1.0 million in eligible Australian venture capital or growth private equity (VCPE) fund(s) investing in start-up and small private companies.
- At least $1.5 million in an eligible managed fund(s) or Listed Investment Companies (LICs) that invest in emerging companies
- A ‘balancing investment’ of up to $3 million in managed fund(s) or LICs that invest in a combination of eligible assets that include Australian listed securities, eligible corporate bonds or notes, annuities and real property (subject to the 10 per cent limit on residential real estate)
Credit Suisse Complying Investment Portfolios
Credit Suisse Private Banking Australia offers complying investment portfolios which meet the requirements stipulated by the AUSTRADE and the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship. The "balancing investment" portfolios are managed by our experienced Australian Portfolio Management team.
Advantages of Investing in Credit Suisse Complying Investments Portfolios
- Credit Suisse is a trusted and reputable financial institution, having served the wealth management needs of families since 1856
- The portfolios are managed by an experienced Australian Portfolio Management team with a strong track record of actively managing the balancing investment (60% of the SIV portfolio)
- Transparent fee structure with no upfront or exit fees charges
- Recommended list of funds that have undergone Credit Suisse due diligence screening
- Clients gain access to Private Banking products and services platform
For clients who are resident in Australia:
- Access to a multi-currency platform capable of holding all tradable currencies, including RMB, HKD, USD and Gold
- Access to Credit Suisse residential property lending facility*