About Us Press Release
Credit Suisse celebrates the 25th year of the Asian Investment Conference as it explores the road ahead for the region over the next quarter century
Themed “Metamorphosis 25”, the 2022 AIC will provide new insights into how the digitalization of everything from money to retail and a historic shift of capital towards sustainable investments will transform APAC over the next quarter century and beyond – and create opportunities for investors.
Helman Sitohang, CEO, Asia Pacific, Credit Suisse, said: “We are proud to celebrate the 25th anniversary of our Asian Investment Conference this year. For the past quarter century, the AIC has remained a firm resource for investors to better understand the driving forces behind Asia’s metamorphosis. Credit Suisse’s pivot to APAC is absolutely core to our strategy, and we will be with our valued clients every step of the way to help them find opportunities from the emerging trends shaping this vibrant region."
The AIC debuted in Hong Kong amid the Asian Financial Crisis after 1997. Since then, APAC has become the powerhouse of global growth. The size of the region’s economy has nearly tripled over the past quarter of a century, up from USD 8.5 trillion in 1997 to over USD 35 trillion in 20211. China rose from the world’s seventh largest economy in 1997 to second today. ASEAN has overtaken the US to become China’s largest trading partner.
While APAC is at the forefront of global innovation and consumption, the region also leads when it comes to investments in renewable energy, with new technologies and a growing commitment to achieving net zero carbon emissions by mid-century promising to transform its economies, enterprises and markets. At the same time, APAC faces demographic shifts with an aging population and is among the most vulnerable to the effects of climate change. These forces are driving a metamorphosis with profound implications for investors everywhere.
Over the next four days, more than 90 speakers across 50 keynotes and panel sessions will deliver unique insights into how Asia’s metamorphosis will unfold and the risks and opportunities that lie ahead for the region’s economies.
The speakers at this year’s AIC are renowned thought leaders, government and business leaders, entrepreneurs, Nobel Prize laureates and academics covering a broad spectrum of topics – from the metaverse and sustainable infrastructure to macroeconomic developments such as inflation and monetary policy.
These inspirational and keynote speakers include:
- Award-winning actor, author and activist Michael J. Fox, who will explain why there’s ‘no time like the future’ to channel our energies towards building a life of resilience and hope.
- Tennis champion, philanthropist and Credit Suisse Global Brand Ambassador Roger Federer, sharing how he has maintained a competitive edge throughout his incredible career.
- Dr Condoleezza Rice, US Secretary of State (2005-2009), providing her unique perspective on how the recent geopolitical developments may unfold and what role international capital will play in influencing the outcome.
- Indra Nooyi, former Chairman & CEO of PepsiCo, speaking on how companies can embrace diversity to reach their full potential.
- Sian Proctor, the first African American woman to pilot a spacecraft, who will share her inspirational journey to breaking down the barriers she faced and achieving impossible goals.
- Professor Sir David King, former Chief Scientific Advisor, United Kingdom and Head of the Climate Crisis Advisory Group, offering a scientific perspective on the disruption to come in the battle against global warming.
- James Bullard, President and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of Saint Louis, shedding light on the future of inflation and interest rates.
- Justin Yifu Lin, Honorary Dean, National School of Development, Peking University, Councilor of the State Council and member of the Standing Committee, Chinese People’s Political Consultation Conference, assessing China’s comparative advantages over the next decade.
- Nicolas Aguzin, CEO of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing, elaborating on the forces that will have the most influence over the next 25 years of investing in the region.
- Mo Gawdat, author, Founder of One Billion Happy and former Chief Business Officer at Google X, covering how artificial intelligence will transform our world.
- Eswar Prasad, Cornell University’s Senior Professor of Trade Policy, and Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution, examining whether the future of money will be a new dawn or a nightmare.
- Blythe Masters, Credit Suisse Board Member and CEO of Motive Capital, discussing how financial institutions are approaching the rise of digital assets.
This year’s AIC will also take a deep dive into the metaverse and digital assets, from gaming to hardware, with notable speakers including:
- Alexis Ohanian, a pioneering founder and investor, who will explore the potential of Web 3.
- Yat Siu, Chairman of Animoca brands, speaking about the future of gaming environments.
- Jon Radoff, author, game designer, and CEO and Founder of Beamable, discussing how companies will build ‘meta-prises’ over the next 25 years.
Throughout the week, Credit Suisse’s leading research analysts will host media briefing sessions on a number of timely thematic and sectoral investment themes, namely:
- Energy transition and China renewables, and what it means to transition to carbon neutrality.
- Electric vehicles (EV) value chain, how cost inflation impacts the EV market;
- All things digital, including the metaverse; and
- Global and Asian equity investment strategy.
Please note that selected keynote addresses and panels will be open to media representatives, who are required to reference the 25th Credit Suisse Asian Investment Conference when quoting any speaker at the AIC.