Credit Suisse Global Nanotechnology Index
Launch of new products based on an innovative index focusing on Nanotechnology industry
Zurich, March 7, 2008 Credit Suisse expects nanotechnology to make a breakthrough in the near future. Many new materials, applications and services currently under development are likely to emerge in the next decade and revolutionize everyday life. Therefore, Credit Suisse has developed the Credit Suisse Global Nanotechnology Index, which focuses on companies offering nanotechnology products. Based on the index, two structured products have now been launched to allow investors to participate in potential growth in this sector.
Nanotechnology is defined as an enabling technology stemming from changes in the intrinsic characteristics of materials when size scales are reduced to the nanometer level (1 nanometer is one billionth of a meter). In other words, processes at the nanometer level enable the creation of materials with new properties. Some early applications of nanotechnology already exist with, for example, cold-resistant and waterproof clothing, anti-graffiti wall coatings, mud-resistant car bodies, OLED-based TV and transparent solar panels. It is expected that more will be in store in the near future, with regard to applications and services that are likely to quickly develop commercially. Credit Suisse estimates a growth per annum between +10% and +25% by 2010 in the five nanotechnology sectors defined below. The Credit Suisse Global Nanotechnology Index was launched in anticipation of this development.
Index Represents Global Nanotechnology Universe
The Nanotechnology Index universe encompasses five sectors, i.e. nano materials, nano information technology, nano healthcare, nano tools, and nano energy/others. The Credit Suisse Global Nanotechnology Index series offers investors exposure to 25 stocks representative of the nanotechnology universe worldwide. The rule-based index methodology enables selection of the largest companies in each sector, based on market capitalization and other criteria, including free float and daily traded volume. Companies must also realize more than 10% of their sales, or display leadership, in nanotechnology. From the investor's perspective, the Credit Suisse Global Nanotechnology Index permits financial exposure to an industry whose economic and social importance we expect will increase steadily and is consequently aimed at long-term oriented investors.
The Index is rebalanced every six months to select new market leaders in each sector and also makes it possible to react to various corporate activities such as IPOs and new nanotechnology initiatives from existing firms. This dynamic element is critical to ensure a reliable representation of rapidly changing markets for nanotechnology. Therefore, the Credit Suisse Global Nanotechnology Index provides a tradable and investable indicator and represents as a global, dynamic and well-balanced index that will reflect the significant growth potential of the markets for nanotechnology.
Credit Suisse offers two new investment opportunities which are based on the Credit Suisse Global Nanotechnology Index and cater for the various risk-return profiles of investors.
A CPUPLUS allows investors to benefit from capital protection at maturity, and at the same time to retain the opportunity to participate in the positive performance of the Index. The amount repaid at maturity depends on the change in the Index during the term of the CPUPLUS. This is assessed each quarter, with the three best quarterly performance values of the underlying being substituted by a value that has been defined in advance.
A CertificatePLUS allows investors, at maturity, to participate 100% in the positive performance of the underlying. Furthermore, investors are repaid in full provided that, during the term, the Index does not reach or exceed pre-defined barrier values. If the Index does reach or exceed its barrier at least once during the term, the investors continue to participate fully in the positive performance of the Index, yet without minimum repayment.
- Lars Kalbreier, Head of Global Equity & Alternatives Research, Tel. +41 44 333 23 94, email@example.com
- Miroslav Durana, Head of Index Development and Nanotechnology Research, Tel. +41 44 335 10 66, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maria Lamas, Financial Products & Investment Advisory, Tel. +41 44 334 54 56, email@example.com
- Media Relations Credit Suisse, Tel. +41 844 33 88 44, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Credit Suisse
- As one of the world's leading banks, Credit Suisse provides its clients with private banking, investment banking and asset management services worldwide. Credit Suisse offers advisory services, comprehensive solutions and innovative products to companies, institutional clients and high-net-worth private clients globally, as well as retail clients in Switzerland. Credit Suisse is active in over 50 countries and employs approximately 48,000 people. Credit Suisse's parent company, Credit Suisse Group, is a leading global financial services company headquartered in Zurich. Credit Suisse Group's registered shares (CSGN) are listed in Switzerland and, in the form of American Depositary Shares (CS), in New York. Further information about Credit Suisse can be found at www.credit-suisse.com.